Dear New Kid
Dear New Kid,
Prepare to enter a world where you get to take serious responsibility for your learning. You will need to forget everything you think you know about school. In this class, YOU drive your learning, not the teacher.
Perhaps the most important thing you need to understand is that learning is a choice. If you choose not to do it, you’ll miss an opportunity to grow.
Here are some things you need to learn, or unlearn, to be successful in the year 6/7 class:
- You are trusted to go to the bathroom, eat or to get a drink without needing to ask all the time. Just let an adult know where you are going.
- In this class, you are trusted to choose where you would like to sit. You have many different spaces and choice about how you use them. Use your space and time wisely!
- The teacher will not be always looking over your shoulder or even be in the classroom all the time, you are trusted to do the right thing. When no one is watching you, it shouldn’t impact your behaviour.
- You are trusted.
Some things you probably need to unlearn:
- You will use first names for everyone, including Abe, but you can call him Mr Moore if you like.
- You don’t need to put your hand up when you have a question, answer or opinion. Just wait for a pause in the conversation before speaking.
- Grades. There are no grades or scores. You will get feedback on your work and will have time to reflect and improve your work. It will help you immensely.
- Also, respect your Chromebook as a tool, not as a toy.
If you walk into your new class today and have a total freak out, that’s completely okay, it will feel pretty different. It can be hard to change and it will take some time and effort, but eventually, you’ll get there.
In a nutshell, your attitude should be to learn and benefit yourself as a learner. Use your time and space to your advantage. You are trusted, be trustworthy. Try not to be too nervous or scared for this year, give it your best and you’ll absolutely love it.
The Class of 2019